Thursday, July 24, 2008

Grandparents


Many years ago, long before I knew anyone with the last name of Burrows. I was sitting in church one warm spring day. I had a very thoughtful Bishop. He wanted to know there was such a thing as Grandparents Day. He had assigned 3 speakers, two were grandparents and one was a younger member of the church. As the younger speaker was giving his talk, he stated something I have never forgotten. He remarked there is a special bond between grandparents and grandchild, for they have a common enemy. I have never forgotten that saying.

When I became a mom, I was talking to my father-in-law and I repeated the statement to him. He was quick to disagree. He did not think he could ever be an enemy to his son, or me. As my son has gotten older and into more trouble, I have found if I am disciplining Will and my father-in-law is around, there is trouble. He will make excuses and even say it was his fault not Will's. A phrase he has often said is "He is fine, he can do whatever he wants".

Many times he has stated this, and I will glare at him and just say, "COMMON ENEMY", and my father-in-law will just smile and duck his head a bit, for he hates to admit I am right. So here is to grandparents, love your enemies.

2 comments:

Marla said...

So cute!! Did you fiqure out the music?

Marla said...

All right after I wrote that I had to go back to your blog to see if that song I heard was coming from your blog. AWESOME!!