Monday, August 18, 2008

Salt of the Earth

Many years ago, I was having Sunday afternoon dinner, with a friend I did not know very well. As we were discussing different things, she made the comment, "Wow, it is so good to be with people who are the salt of the earth". I did not know what to make of the comment, it wasn't something I had ever heard before.

I have never considered myself the "Salt of the Earth" person, but the more I have thought about it, maybe I should.

In my experience, I have talked to many different people, that would say one thing to your face, and another behind your back.

I have one group of friends that would be amazed at my ability to tell people exactly what I think. They call me brazen or brash, or whatever other adjective that would describe me as bold.

It's funny because I don't feel brave or bold, actually just the opposite.

I believe people should hear the truth, especially when they ask for my opinion about things. I think I have learned how to say things without being offensive, but sometimes being offensive is what is needed.

I have a friend that is currently living with her boyfriend, because she doesn't think marriage is the answer. When the subject comes up, I feel compelled to tell her the truth, not pacify her to make her feel better about her choices. I have told her in the past, she needs to be married, if for no other reason then to protect herself. If you don't have the legal document to protect yourself, you leave yourself open to be taken advantage of.

That is just one example of how I view friendship. It is telling the person you are with the truth at all times. Now, I am not saying, I would walk up to anyone and let them know how ugly they look today, just to tell them the truth. I will though, have the compassion to tell them the things they need to hear, not just want to hear.

I get along with many people, but have very few friends. I wouldn't change a thing though, it is me I have to live with and look in the mirror every day. If that what "Salt of the Earth" means then, I guess I am.

1 comment:

Marla said...

I hope that I am numbered as one of your friends. I think we get alog so well because you are the salt and I am the pepper. A little spice, a little kick, without being to rebellious!! I am thanful to count you as one of my friends.